We’re in northern Minnesota this week and we were able to celebrate my mom’s birthday today with some of her favorite things!
She woke up to blueberry pancakes customized with her birthday year thanks to chef Ryan.
We played mini golf and she kicked our butts.
Followed up by a old fashioned strawberry soda from DQ.
And then a really fun night of dinner, a beautiful lake sunset and some drinks and dancing.
Happy birthday momma!
Yesterday brought only good things for us because we closed on our new house!
We met the previous owners at the closing and they couldn’t have been nicer. They told us how much we are going to love the neighborhood and also that you can catch a ton of nice bass off our dock in the backyard! Renovation work starts today-we are so excited!
When Ryan and I were moving out of our last house, I thought that for our next grown-up house, we should get new furniture. Like brand-new. We’ve always bought our furniture off of Craigslist or from garage sales because we knew that we would be living in a temporary house so the idea of spending a lot of money on furniture seemed silly.
Turns out it still does! Even though we plan on staying in our new house for awhile, it still doesn’t make sense to blow our whole house budget on expensive pieces. That’s where furniture consignment shopping comes in! There are some really nice stores here in Charleston that sell affordable, clean, high quality pieces that are really fun to hunt for!
Here’s our first little honey we picked up this week (at Next to New if you’re in the area). I think she’s going to go by my new office:
Hunting for furniture that we can get for a good deal is something that both of us get into which makes it really fun. Here’s what else we are in the market for for the new place:
-desk table and chair for me
-night stands for the master bedroom
-big coffee table to go with the new living room furniture
I’ll let you know how we do!
Yesterday Ryan and I took some new friends out on the boat to finally do some fishing. We had a pretty rainy start to the day, but the skies lightened up, the waves died down, and we were reelin’ ’em in!
It’s a little bit scary how many sharks we pulled in (I heard there is a Great White that hangs out near Charleston too) but I don’t have any plans of swimming in the ocean anytime soon so it’s ok! It’s kind of cool actually. We watched the sunset in the harbor and had a night cruise back to the dock. Pretty amazing!
Hello! Can you believe it? I’m about to post more than a photo! I’ve seen a lot of other blog writers do these “Virtual Coffee Date” posts. The idea is to talk to you like you are at Starbucks with me right now. To help you envision it, here’s what it looks like at my table:
So, if you were sitting across the Starbucks table with me right now, you’d know that the people behind me are talking about chicken cutlets, which is why I quick downloaded the new Miranda Lambert album so I could put my headphones in, haha.
Okay for real now, we are LOVING life in Charleston. I think it’s a really good sign of things to come because we are kind of living in a weird limbo. We sleep on a mattress on the floor, we just installed appliances this week (aka, we’ve been eating out for about a month), and for fun before we go to bed we watch Season 3 of The Cosby Show on Ryan’s computer because we have no TV. Despite the weirdness of our living situation, it doesn’t really phase us! Can you imagine how much we are going to love it here once we have a chair to sit on to eat our dinner instead of eating dinner on our bed?? 🙂
Here’s a quick list of happenings in our life:
1. We close on our German Village house tomorrow! (hopefully!)
2. We are in contract for a house for ourselves and should close next week so we can start the demo. We found this place in a matter of days when we arrived in Charleston and are so excited about it. It’s a 70’s brick ranch that needs some major updating, but we have some really great ideas for it (it’s nice when you have a smart husband and creative architect dad!). Stay tuned to follow our progress! We are really excited about the neighborhood we are moving in to – lots of young families and close to the beach and downtown.
3. We’ve already made some really great friends. Everyone is so nice here – I love being surrounded by positive people and happy married couples!
4. We’ve gone out on Pearl Mae (our boat) a couple times now and so happy that we have it. I’m still learning all of my “jobs” on the boat – aka, helping Ryan get it in the water, anchor duty, etc – but I’ll get there! We see tons of dolphins, cruise the river to look at the beautiful houses and old plantations, and are just generally trying to figure the waterways out. Our new friends have been super helpful in teaching us the ropes of Charleston boating. Our fishing gear is still packed in the trailer so we haven’t even begun to explore that yet!
5. We’re getting all of the pieces in place for our new businesses and it’s really exciting! Ryan’s been taking his brokerage classes this week and I’ve been working at Starbucks on our business plan.
I think that’s it for now! Next up is a long trip home in a couple weeks. Can’t wait to see everyone soon!